Lettuce should be as easy to use and wash as possible, stay fresh for as long as possible, and taste delicious. Rijk Zwaan has developed a lettuce type that is specially designed for convenience and efficiency: Salanova.
Convenience and countless leaves
Just one cut is enough to separate the head of lettuce into lots of baby leaves. The flavour and texture range from the soft, subtle taste of Salanova Butter to the crunchy bite of Salanova Crispy.
The Salanova assortment comprises 5 different lettuce types (butterhead, oakleaf, lollo, crispy and batavia) in 2 colours (red and green). Salanova has three times more leaves than other lettuces. All of the leaves are small in size, similar to baby leaf.
Benefits for the whole chain
The Salanova types offer advantages for growers, foodservice companies, fresh-cut companies, retailers and consumers:
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor production
- Suitable for mechanical harvesting, both as heads and as loose leaves
- Opportunities for diversification in terms of flavour and convenience
- Opportunities to add value to the lettuce category
- Excellent shelf life, both as a full head and as cut lettuce
- Time savings thanks to the ‘one cut, ready’ principle and small-sized leaves.
- Available all year round
Rijk Zwaan supports Salanova with marketing activities and marketing materials, such as the consumer website providing inspiration and tips: www.salanova.com.
We collaborate as part of a global Salanova network of Rijk Zwaan crop specialists, growers, processing companies and retailers. Together, we strengthen consumer awareness and recognisability of Salanova.
Our breeding activities are continuously focused on keeping the resistances up to date and adding new lettuce types to expand the Salanova range.
For an online overview, visit the assortment page.